The ultimate goal of any blogger is to have engaging posts that catch the attention of his/her readers. While always a challenge, a blogger needs to know how to write quality blog posts.
A quality post is one that does not contain grammatical faux pas and spelling mistakes and is written in a style that is captivating to the readers as well as being fun and easy to read. Embarrassing mistakes (albeit human error cannot be avoided) tarnishes your credibility. You do not know who may be reading your posts.
One normally has to dig deep into his language arsenal to achieve a captivating post, sans spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors, particularly if you are not that a seasoned writer. Some people may resort to professional proof-readers. However, thanks to technology, there are tools in the market that can act as digital writing assistants and proof-readers, particularly those who are serious in starting a blog for free. One of these tools is Grammarly.
Grammarly – What Is It?
Grammarly is a digital writing tool developed by a Ukrainian technology company using artificial intelligence and natural learning processes. With over 10 million users worldwide, Grammarly transformed itself into the most popular spelling and grammar checker tool available on the internet, used by passionate writers, beginners or professionals.
The application checks your article/post for errors or areas for improvements. In particular, it provides services to check and recommend corrections or improvement through the following:
- Advanced Grammar Rules – The application effectively detects mistakes related to grammar and punctuation, ranging from basic to advanced ones. Grammarly does not stop there. It goes further by providing suggestions and guidelines on how you may rectify them.
- Contextual Spell Check – It has a spelling checker functionality that scours your article for errors and promptly clears the error and provides the necessary and correct replacement.
- Vocabulary Enhancement – Grammarly is very helpful in enhancing the vocabulary you use throughout the article. For example, If there is a word that is commonly or repeatedly used, it will prompt you to consider using a synonym.
- Writing Style – This is often an under-appreciated feature of the application. But this feature is quite indispensable. It helps you with the length of sentences, overall readability, and actionable insights and avoiding passive sentences – thus enhancing your writing.
- Plagiarism Detection – Grammarly compares your writing to various others available on the internet to encourage uniqueness to your text.
Who Uses Grammarly?
Grammarly is for everyone who wishes to have a digital writing assistant that will ease them the burden of writing. It has the features you need to spruce up blogs, social media posts, magazine articles, research papers, reports, or even just your day-to-day emails.
Grammarly can be used by both native and non-native English speakers, and it is most beneficial for: students, bloggers, content marketers, copywriters, and even business writers as well as professionals.
How To Use Grammarly?
Grammarly is an internet-based tool, which does not require you to continually copy and paste your writing into a text box to check it. The application is available in the following formats and platforms:
- The Grammarly Web Tool – If you have drafted your article say in Word, you can upload the entire file and allow the tool to analyze the data for you, Or, you may wish to do a copy and paste process for your article. After a few seconds, the application will analyze and propose edits to it.
- Desktop Application – A version of the app is available to be downloaded from Grammarly’s official website and installed on your desktop to check your writing. Follow the setup instructions to install the app onto your desktop successfully. At this point, the version available is supported in Windows and Mac OS only.
- Microsoft Word – Microsoft Word on Windows OS has a built-in Grammarly feature available. The application consists of a separate page for the add-in, along with the information on how to install it. Once the feature is locked in, Grammarly checks as you write along on MS Word.
- Browser Extension – This is available to download from the website. A browser extension allows you to incorporate Grammarly across various sites, like Gmail, Google Docs, and Google Sheets. The extension will enable you to use the tool for writing emails, documents, and posts on social media, or even when working on your article in WordPress.
- On Your Phone – A mobile app is available for your smartphone and supported on both Android and iOS devices.
Ease of Use
Grammarly is quite easy to use, even if you are not a computer or tech-savvy. In contrast to its complex and advanced analyzing skills behind the scenes, the front-end user interface is intuitive and lends itself to excellent user experience. You can learn Grammarly and will be able to work on your documents with relative confidence in a few minutes.
Real-time Grammar Correction
Grammarly does automatic correction of errors in real-time for a spruced-up final result. You can easily see the mistakes that you are making and immediately correct them based on the tool’s recommended edits.
Grammarly holds a very high degree of accuracy in the way it corrects. The software does not make a lot of mistakes and maintains accurate grammar changes throughout its use.
The application allows you to customize your writing as you desire freely. You can choose a preferred language, turn off certain websites, use your regular set of words or even add new words (like slang and brand names) to the dictionary so that it does not mark them wrong repeatedly. Or you have the option of just ignoring a recommended change if you feel that it does not provide the right context you have in mind.
Can Trigger Misunderstanding
The software does not work whenever it is analyzing your documents. It may misunderstand certain passages and suggest the wrong corrections, leading to messy results. It has also shown incompatibility with Google Docs, refusing correction.
Limited Free Version
There are two versions of the software: FREE and PREMIUM. Most of the basic features, like spelling, grammar, and punctuation, are covered by the FREE version. The customization and writing style changes are only allowed once you purchase the premium version. Several people opt to buy the latter, although the majority of the students and bloggers tend to stick to the former.
The application believes in aggressive advertising when it comes to upgrades. Spamming with constant advertisements and emails might pose as an annoying factor to some people. However, there is always the option to unsubscribe such alerts, and the problem will go away.
In my view, the PROS outweigh the CONS. Overall, it has been a very useful application, particularly when it comes to grammar and spelling checkers.
Obviously, a computer program cannot cover every base of correction as a human proofreader or editor can. As such, in scenarios where you have to write a dissertation, a high-profile business document, or a manuscript, you may consider seeking the help of an expert editor. Otherwise, Grammarly is more than adequate for the job. There are other platforms available (e.g. ProWritingAid, WhiteSmoke, and Ginger). However, Grammarly stands out for us due to its easy user interface and high accuracy rate.
See for yourself. Check out Grammarly FREE version from their website today!